Sunday, June 19, 2011


I just can't stop dyeing sock blanks to get self striping yarn . . . . . and here is another example! One side was dyed black, and the other was supposed to be yellow, turquoise and bright, fuchsia pink. Some of the colors bled, giving some areas of purple and green. Not what I intended, but wow, the finished socks are quite fabulous!

What do you think?!

Sunday, June 12, 2011

More from the Cauldron!

I had a great weekend this weekend working with the cauldron and dyeing up lots of lovely yarn including some super-soft MCN (merino/cashmere/nylon) that I kettle dyed.

I also dyed up some sparkly 'Twinkle' yarn (the rose/green/yellow and the lilac/green/yellow) Although it is hard to see on this photo, the yarn has little strands of silver running through it - very pretty!

Finally, I inadvertently bought some sport yarn rather than fingering and so I will be knitting this up myself; toe-up I think, so that I can get the most of the yardage. The blue/brown cream and the rose/brown cream is that yarn. Completed socks will be posted here :o)

The yarn is for sale in my Etsy Shop - so pop over and take a look!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Before and After

So here we go - this is what some of the blanks look like once knit up - starting with a rainbow dyed blank that had diagonal stripes. All the blanks are knit with double strands, and the socks are knit TAAT (two at a time)

For this yarn, I also wound it into a cake to show how the stripes looked. Fab!

And here are the socks - as you can see the color transition into each other sue to the diagonal dyeing.

In comparison, these socks were knit front a blank with horizontal stripes. The stripes are more pronounced, but nonetheless, they look great!

This blank was dyed to represent sky, grass and earth - a bit of a mish-mash of colors . . .

And they were knitted up into a pair of socks for hubby. Lovely - and more to follow!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Fresh out of the Dyepot!

Well, I had a fantastic weekend playing with the cauldron and this is what emerged! I wanted to try out dyeing sock blanks as the transitional changes of color can be quite spectacular. I made up the blanks on my Bond knitting machine using two threads so that the socks would be pretty much the same when knitted up. This design is based upon a landscape - blue sky, green grass, brown ground. It sounds uninspiring, but I am sure it will look great when knitted up - these will be for hubby xxx

The next blank is a rainbow - Dad wanted rainbow socks . . . . really! I actually did two rainbow blanks - one with horizontal stripes and the other with diagonal stripes. The diagonal striping will have more gradianting (it is a verb you know!!!) color stripes, it will be fun to see the difference!

At the end of my dying session I usually have some dye leftover - I also already have some made up solutions, so without further ado a splashed it all over a final blank . . . . it will henceforth be known as 'Fugly' - but I bet it turns out the best there is!

And finally -I dyed up some self striping yarn. This is my first attempt and involved a 32 foot circumference . . . . I won't be doing that again in a hurry! I had some spare yarn left and have a 'test skein' to knit up - photos to be posted soon!

Sunday, February 27, 2011


The Titanic Exhibition is here in Calgary, and what a fantastic exhibition it is. When you enter you receive a replica of the original boarding pass with details of one of the passengers. As you go round the exhibition you get the opportunity to learn a bit more about your passenger - the deck that they are on, and if you are lucky, you can see some of their possessions. As you leave you find out whether your passenger survived - I am pleased to say that mine did, but hubby's perished.

The actual items recovered from the sea bed are (in some cases) in amazing condition. One such items was a toothpaste container of which you could buy a replica in the gift shop.

Oh, and there is a piece of the ship in the exhibition that you can actually touch - it really is quite amazing and well worth a visit.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

More FP's!

Well, this month has started the year off brilliantly. I have managed four finished projects - and I think that I may manage to sneak in another before close of business tomorrow!

First of all I have a pair of 'Knuckle Dusters' using Sue Brady's Basic Fingerless Mitts pattern (on Ravelry). The yarn is a smooshy cashmere/merino blend that I hand dyed. They fit perfectly and I have received many comments about them - I think that I will be knitting many more pairs for future birthday & Christmas presents :o)

I then completed a pair of 'car socks' that I can knit in the car on the way home from work :o) The yarn is Felici from Knit Picks and is just as lovely to wear as to knit. Lovely :o)

Finally, I finished the Christmas socks from the kit that Santa bought me. They are made from another cashmere/merino blend that is fully washable (yay!) So, if I keep this up, I could have 52 finished items by the end of the year . . . is it possible . . . we will have to see!

Sunday, January 9, 2011

First Finished Project 2011

Last night I completed my first pair of socks for 2011. They are Coral Hederas and knit from Cookie A's Hedera pattern using Patons Kroy yarn hand dyed by myself. I'm very pleased with these and will probably test drive them today!

I did not keep a record of how many socks that I knit in previous years, so I am ready to start here! I would hope to knit at least one pair per month as a minimum but will aim for two pairs. I shall update the bar on the right with my 'finished' so watch this space :o)